Sunday, March 20, 2011

Mother Pulse


My body throbs from the weight of it all. New blood is thundering through my veins, as if trying to find an exit. My swelling stomach is tight and heavy. My first daughter lifts up the inside of her wrist, pointing to her veins, “What’s this?” she asks.

It’s your blood, I say (it was my blood once).

She studies her veins, and asks me to wipe them away. “It’s your blood,” I tell her. Will you one day wonder at your birth, and at the origin of all things--will it be a miracle or simply an explosion of life?

She studies her faint blue veins, and asks me again to wipe them away. I bend to smell her skin. Her hand is pressed against my pregnant belly, for warmth, for comfort. Will you bend for your sister when I move on, when life changes again?

I bend down and breathe in her toddler head, her hand is pressed against my soft, shrunken stomach. My second daughter lifts up her wrist, “Mama, what are these?”

Will you bend for each other when I move on?

My body throbs from the weight of it all.

***

I am standing by the window over the kitchen sink, and he is putting her to bed.  I hear them through the monitor. They are upstairs in Lilah’s three-year-old bedroom, getting ready to sing their nighttime song.

Sons and Daughters, Papa.”

Alright,” he says, “You first, then me.”

I lean in to hear her small voice float out: “When weee arriiive, sons and daughters, we'll make our lives on the waaater. We'll build our walls, alumi-NUMMM. We'll fill our mouths with cinna-MONNN…”

He helps her some with the words, then sings this same refrain from the Decemberists' song again, in a warm as bathwater voice. I know he is leaning down close to her face and she is grinning wide, so proud that she learned this song from him, sung like a secret traded between them.

Outside the kitchen window, it is dark with only moony patches of snow glowing bluish. But a light rises in my throat; I swallow it back down and close my eyes to better taste its warmth.

***

After ZoĆ«’s bedtime nursing I creep downstairs while he reads to her about moons and great green rooms. I pour my wine and take the glass out to the back porch – it’s mid-October and our days of outside evening air are numbered.

Through the kitchen window I see him fix a drink, and I wait for him to find me. Tonight, I hope he will look. Moments pass and I sip wine and roll my shoulders trying to purge acid from aching muscles. I wonder if I look as old to him as I feel.

I hear his feet scuff on the porch floor. “Oh, there you are,” he says, “I thought the Rapture happened,” and he smiles at our longtime, only half serious joke. He is still standing.

I stare at him. My pulse thrums. One heartbeat, two. “You thought it happened, and you got left behind and I went?”

Yes,” he replies, sitting down next to me, “You are a mother, you are good; you would go.”

I look away, and take a sip of dark wine. His words follow down my throat: absolution.

3 comments:

  1. Oh lord, I'm just coming off a long stretch in ENG 162 with a poetic vignettist, full of elusiveness, nuance, elisions, gaps for me to fill, echoes to cup my ear to, shadows to note, words to parse, references to catch (I hope), and now...Jennifer Ishio goes all wobbly on me too right when I'm at my squooshiest, late Sunday afternoon!

    Blood and wine, and Easter still weeks away and the Rapture?...well, God only knows when the Rapture will come! Moons and moms and blood and tides....

    And I had to look up the Decemberists, and being the history guy (MA UMO, 1970), I kept trying to figure out how the Decembrists (who started their revolt exactly 120 years before my date of birth) wiggled into this....

    I'm smiling as I type all this, Jennifer. Your piece is poetry basically--themes, leitfmotifs, symbol, metaphor, point/counterpoint, maybe even allegory!--and I don't really do poetry very well, so I feel like I can take a short vacation from commentary to do a little improv.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well,i hope it's just my bad luck that you read this right after a stretch of too much poetic writing. you didn't even sleep on this one!

    yes, there's a lot of poetic imagery, but i did try to ground that with some solid narrative. though i know it's sparse. i did intend it that way.

    it's a bit "moony," but i don't think it's wobbly. from the definition on "authorial presence," that you provided in the lecture, i think it has several of the elements. there is certainly sincerity, self-revelation and creativity; intensity--only if you're a mother?; use of poetic devices--check.

    the decemberists i refer to are actually a modern band, a very talented group. depending on your musical taste, you may or may not like them, but their stuff is high quality--very literary, don'tcha know! their latest album, "the king is dead" is particularly compelling and lovely. and i didn't even know their name was a historical reference! i guess i have to look that up myself.

    yes, you caught me. these three vignettes were originally written as poems. egads, i hear you say! i've heard that poetry is not your favorite form, but i took a leap. also, it is what i could manage this week.

    in answer to your question (in your comment on the aunt penny profile piece) about my writing process, and what makes the difference in the quality of the outcome: lately it's been all about what i can manage time-wise and energy-wise. the week that i wrote the "let me go" piece i was still really ragged after having strep. the week i wrote the aunt penny profile, i had a whole weekend (at a writing retreat) to work on that piece. also, of course, aunt penny as a topic practically writes herself. me as a topic, i am just not as exciting! this week, i just couldn't for the life of me think of a compelling topic! nothing was gnawing at me to come out, and the "authorial presence" idea, though i think i understand it, didn't constrict me into a certain theme, like travel, or memoir, or even profile. that's not meant to be an excuse; i'm responsible for my own inspiration. so, i went back to my writing notebooks and tried to find a theme among some older pieces, hoping that the result would show some "presence."

    but in the end, if it only gets my own juices flowing, then it should stay in my private notebook. but i'm going to read it to my writing group first...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, jennifer, writing is far too important to take too seriously--nothing I ever say should douse your cheer or make you doubt your dought.

    Reading this, I enjoyed the puzzle quality, fitting together what I knew were carefully considered comparisons and feelings--there's nothing here that doesn't belong in 262 or outside of your notebook.

    On the contrary, you've done me the compliment to show me more of your range, tools and weapons I didn't know you had so sharp and so powerful. Next week, you'll write me something very brisk and matter-of-fact, and I will criticize it by bemoaning the lack of music, poetry, and moonlight in the piece. Hoist on your own petard.

    ReplyDelete